daughter took safety cores

Wilson

I gess what I ment to ask. has any one elce sent their daughters I said you have to go but if you don't like it you don't have to ever shoot another gun. but with gun's in the house every one is going to take the cores

oppo

Full Access Member
I haven't sent them to a class but they have been grilled on safety by me, repeatedly.

Maxx2893

Full Access Member
I went to it just because it's required to hunt in Texas. Didn't really enjoy it because I knew the stuff already. Been around guns my entire life and always taught to treat them with respect. Oh well, had to do it.

Congrats on your daughter enjoying it Wilson.

blockdoc

Full Access Member
For 6 years I taught the class our state requires for concealed carry permits.

My kids should have sufficient training by me.

I have 3 simple rules for firearm handling. Always follow them & you'll never regret it.
1) never point a weapon at anything you're not willing to destroy. (a person, an animal, a tv, a truck, anything)
2) every weapon is always loaded - treat it that way
3) your finger stays off the trigger until you are about to fire. It will rest comfortably alongside the weapon until you're going to fire.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
I gess what I ment to ask. has any one elce sent their daughters I said you have to go but if you don't like it you don't have to ever shoot another gun. but with gun's in the house every one is going to take the cores

How old is your daughter?
My daughter has been shooting guns since 8yo starting out with a 10/22. As I suspected, she wouldn't be all that into it. By the time she was 12, she wanted to shoot a handgun, so I let her shoot my 9mm, again, enough for her. By 15 she wanted to shoot the .300 Win Mag and the 12 gauge. Once of each was enough for her. At 15 she did get more involved in wanting to know how to load, unload, make safe and all that good stuff for safety and protection sake on my 9mm that I didn't carry with me, so when she was home alone, if need be, she'd be OK. This because she had a freak of a stalker that had a violent past. We went over some rules of engagement to keep her and myself out of legal trouble should something go down. The police dept was very aware of the issues with this punk, so we had that part covered and he had a criminal history already so we were good there. Being that she never did get all into guns, I didn't fear she'd be playing with them as toys and have an accident so she did have access to a 9mm with a loaded mag, no round chambered gun at home when I was gone. Never needed it Thank God !!!

She's now 24, married, has 3 kids of her own, is Carry Permitted, does carry and low and behold, she has followed my advice and does go shooting at the range 2-3 times a month and blows thru 2 (50)boxes of ammo each time, just to practice, not only for accuracy, but loading, unloading, chambering rounds, loading mags, make safe etc, so that she stays very fluent with her gun. As I told her, in a bad scenario, is not the time to be trying to figure out your gun, or trying to remember all your steps, that those need to all be automatic and you need to be thinking about other things like the threat, how to handle it, when to pull it, not to pull it, is this going to be justified, is anyone else in danger of getting hit if I miss etc. She actually does pretty well now after about 8 months of being more serious and proactive about carrying.

Wilson

she will be 13 this year. I've been teaching her about boys along with guns and whatever elce a dad should be trying to teach a young lady. I just think every one should have a training corse if their are guns present in a home. and yes adults show the kids let them tuch it and watch you shoot it at a bottle of water so they know what it can do.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
she will be 13 this year. I've been teaching her about boys along with guns and whatever elce a dad should be trying to teach a young lady. I just think every one should have a training corse if their are guns present in a home. and yes adults show the kids let them tuch it and watch you shoot it at a bottle of water so they know what it can do.

I totally agree. My son has been shooting a 10/22 since 6yo, my daughter since she was about 8 or so. And up the ladder they went into 12ga, 300Win Mag, 38 Special, 9mm and .40. as they got older. By 12yo they were shooting all of them. They got to shoot turtles to pieces so they see what bullets do. Not only for safety sake, but to kill their curiosity. Strict rules about guns in the house and the kids followed them very well. They also knew anytime they wanted to go shooting, we'd make arrangements to do so. I still got a gun vault though mainly for their safety. As I told the wife, it won't be our kids playing with the guns, but if they bring a friend over who hasn't been raised like our kids were, it'll be that kid who is curious and pick one up and it'll be our kid he kills on accident.

I had been talking about getting a gun vault for about a year. One Saturday a news story came on where a 4yo killed hisself in a town 30 minutes south of us. I felt so bad for the uncle who left the gun un attended for a matter of 5 minutes while he ran outside just to smoke a cigarette. I stood up and told the wife, you know what, to hell with saving up for a gun vault. That's what credit cards are for, and if my kid dies while I'm saving up cash to buy a $700 vault, not only did I lose a kid, but the $700 on credit is alot cheaper than a $5000 funeral, so lets go shopping and get one today. Ended up the one I have was on sale for $499 form $649 or $699, don't recall for certain now, but we bought it and brought it home that day. Never know, that 4yo boy may have saved one of my kids lives. Very Sad.

And I hope some of you here think the same way and get gun vaults. If you've got $400-$600 to buy a gun, then you have $400-$600 to buy a good fireproof rated, heavy real gun vault that can be bolted and anchored to concrete. Not only protects your kids or other kids who visit your home, but does make thieves to have to work alot harder to get them. Also if the house burns down, your guns are still like you left them. I also take advantage of the fireproof factor and keep my computer back ups, some photo albums, car titles, life insurance policies, jewelry, bonds, spare keys and remotes to the vehicles along with a Rewritable CD of pics of my household items, tools, and toys and their serial # tags etc. In the event of a fire or break in, I have proof of value, age and condition for the insurance company. I say odds of thieves getting it are slim the way it's bolted down, and the house can burn down around it and all it's contents are safe. It very well could be the best $500-$800 investment you can make, so don't think you can't afford it. You can get deals watching sales too. IMO, it's one of those things worth going in debt over, and if you takes you 6mo or a year to pay it off with some interest, then so be it. In that 6mo to a year time it would have taken you to save cash for it, might have been when your kid or another kid found you guns and someone is hurt or fatally shot.

ninja man

Full Access Member
she will be 13 this year. I've been teaching her about boys along with guns and whatever elce a dad should be trying to teach a young lady.

this...... scarry......
im just a few years behind you wilson. my oldest daughter is 10 she is getting a .22 for christmas....... dont have to worry about boys.......yet.......

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
Where I shoot the acustics are terrible..... I wear cores under my muffs because I am already disabled and dont need anymore problems with my health. They did not want to spend the money for the correct material.....The guy next to me the first time I shot there was shooting an AK/308 whatever you wanna call it.....and I left after only 50rds thru my AR. The other place I shoot is pistols or 22LR only due to a noise ordianance........There is a mobile home park 50 feet behind it and the people new that there was a gun range there when they bought there fuckin mobile homes........ :shitsweak:

kwo51

Full Access Member
Long guns in doors are a problem.I wear plugs and muffs always when in doors.... The people in the park might think it is neat to walk to the play ground.(range)

blockdoc

Full Access Member
this...... scarry......
im just a few years behind you wilson. my oldest daughter is 10 she is getting a .22 for christmas....... dont have to worry about boys.......yet.......

Friend of mine with 3 boys says that with boys, you have to worry about one prick. With girls, you have to worry about all of them.

Members online

No members online now.