Coonans 1911 /357

kwo51

Full Access Member
Any experience with one here? Is the 357 sig = to standard 357? Any thoughts ? Just buzzing in my head.

oppo

Full Access Member
The 357 Sig is a very good round and the 357 Sig is pretty comparable to much of what is sold as 357 magnum ammo, especially in short barrels and light bullets. In fact, Winchester loads the 357 Sig slightly hotter than the 357 magnum in their PDX1. That said, the 357 Sig can't keep up with real 357 magnum loads, especially with heavier bullets. In a pistol, the Sig is the more practical cartridge but it won't replace what the magnum will do in a large handgun.

Btw, my EDC is a 357 Sig and I also have a 6" GP100. I like both and they each have advantages.

kwo51

Full Access Member
I have a 357 lever gun and it is fun to shoot with hot loads. I would like to hear more from someone that has owned a Coonan pistol. The 10 mm should be hotter than the 357 sig I think.

oppo

Full Access Member
It is. The 10mm is capable of real 357 magnum power levels. The 357 Sig tops out at just over 600 ft lbs from a 4" barrel. A little more from a 5". Typical loads are a bit over 500. The 10mm tops out close to 800 from a 5" barrel. The 357 mag tops out at just over 800 from 6" barreled revolver. A lot of factory loads are only around 550. I don't recall the exact ballistics offhand but given similar barrel lengths, the Coonan produces higher velocities than a revolver. The downside is the size of the grip due to the length of the 357 magnum cartridge.

That is all I can add as I have no personal experience with the Coonan.

Also, ammo is far less common but another option is the 9x25 Dillon. It is a real hotrod. It a 10mm necked down to 9mm and fires a 125 grain bullet around 1800 fps. That is 900 ft lbs.

kwo51

Full Access Member
The coonan is being produced in 1911 .I have big hands . Looking for a good all around protection gun,bears,hogs druggies. I have all the rest and still feel like I am missing one. 460 and 500 are also on the watch list. 460 mostly. Thanks oppo

oppo

Full Access Member
If hogs and black bears are on the list, 357 magnum and 10mm win hands down over the Sig and Dillon because they are MUCH better with heavier bullets.

The 460 will flatten them. I haven't actually shot the 460 but I do have a 454 Casull and the 460 is, obviously, even hotter.

The recoil is "entertaining" but what is more of an issue is the muzzle blast. Hearing protection is a must. They are MUCH louder than a 357 magnum.

Bluez

Full Access Member
The Coonan is a very cool gun from acollectors standpoint and I would like ot own one.
Having said that the long bullet makes for a BIG grip and the hot nature of 357 Mag makes for a heavy semi-auto.

As a trail gun i rather have a 4 or 6 inch GP100 as aself defense gun I'd rather have a wonder nine loaded w/ HP

Silver-Bolt

Full Access Member
I have fired a Coonan .357. I have fairly small hands so it was not a good fit for me. The long length of the .357 makes feeding a challenge and cycle times are some what slow. Personally I would not rely on one as a woods/tweeker gun. Full house 10mm rounds are more than capable. Look at Underwood, Buffalo Bore, and Double Tap for high horsepower rounds. The off the shelf Remington, Federal, Winchester is watered down to under 1000fps. Look at a Glock G20 or the new G40 6" in 10mm or Sig is about to release the P220 in 10mm. Glocks are great in the woods. You can beat the piss out of them and they keep right on running.

kwo51

Full Access Member
P220 would be a good frame to put 10 mm on thanks. I wounder if sig would make a 45 asp conversion for it? They seem to be ahead of the curve. Glock might see more frame cracking with 10mm. G19 was re framed at about 30,00 rounds.

Silver-Bolt

Full Access Member
P220 would be a good frame to put 10 mm on thanks. I wounder if sig would make a 45 asp conversion for it? They seem to be ahead of the curve. Glock might see more frame cracking with 10mm. G19 was re framed at about 30,00 rounds.

KWO,
My Glock G20 has over 40k rounds through it. The frame is just fine. I have owned since it first came out in 1991. I tried to wear it out and failed. It loves the punishment.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts