Concealed Carry Reciprocity - Utah

ViperJeff

Administrator
http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/FAQother.html

In accordance with U.C.A. 76-10-523, Utah will honor a permit to carry a concealed firearm issued by another state or county.

Of the states below that have formalized reciprocity or recognition with Utah, there are some states that will only accept the Utah concealed firearm permit so long as the permit holder is a resident of Utah.

It is the responsibility of all Utah concealed firearm permit holders to know and understand the applicable firearm laws of the states within which they plan to visit or venture. For information regarding firearm laws of other states, please contact the respective authority within that state.

Although there are many states that will recognize the Utah concealed firearm permit, the State of Utah has formal reciprocity (written agreement) with the following states

Alabama
Alaska
Colorado
Florida
Georgia
Louisiana
Mississippi
New Hampshire
North Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio
South Dakota
Texas
Virginia
Washington State
West Virginia

The following states recognize the Utah concealed firearm permit.

Arizona
Arkansas
Delaware
Idaho
Indiana
Iowa
Kentucky
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania
Tennessee
Vermont
Wisconsin
Wyoming

The following states DO NOT recognize the Utah concealed firearm permit.

California
Connecticut
Hawaii
Illinois
Kansas
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Nevada
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
Oregon
Rhode Island
South Carolina

oppo

Full Access Member
Unless I am mistaken, Utah will no longer issue a non-resident permit unless you have a permit from your home state. There used to be a large number of Texans that got Utah non-resident permits instead of a Texas permits because it was much cheaper and Texas will honor it.

ViperJeff

Administrator
From the Utah Department of Public Safety website

Non-resident proof of permit. If you reside in a state that recognizes the validity of the Utah CFP or has reciprocity with Utah, you must obtain a CFP or CCW from your home state and submit a copy of it with your application for a Utah permit. For a list of reciprocal states click here. Residency will be determined by your state-issued identification. If your state does not recognize the Utah permit this does not apply.

TacticalAdvantage

Full Access Member
Unless I am mistaken, Utah will no longer issue a non-resident permit unless you have a permit from your home state. There used to be a large number of Texans that got Utah non-resident permits instead of a Texas permits because it was much cheaper and Texas will honor it.

one of the reasons for this law is that many states were threatening to remove Utah from their recognition, for the very reason that you have stated, too many people were getting the Utah Non Resident permit, and their home states were feeling the penny crunch. So in response, Utah could either go with the new law... or stop issuing non resident permits. Utah felt that their current law was a win win for both Utah and the other states, and Utah is still THE most recognized permit

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
one of the reasons for this law is that many states were threatening to remove Utah from their recognition, for the very reason that you have stated, too many people were getting the Utah Non Resident permit, and their home states were feeling the penny crunch. So in response, Utah could either go with the new law... or stop issuing non resident permits. Utah felt that their current law was a win win for both Utah and the other states, and Utah is still THE most recognized permit
Splain what you mean by that please. Because there are other states that are more widely accepted (fewer forbidden states).

TacticalAdvantage

Full Access Member
Splain what you mean by that please. Because there are other states that are more widely accepted (fewer forbidden states).
Utah has Reciprocity Agreements with 16 other states, Reciprocity is a formal written agreement between states to recognize each others permits, beyond that, Utah has Informal recognition with 18 other states for a total of 34 states that Recognize (Formally and Informally) the Utah Permit, Florida is now even with Utah with 34 states

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Utah has Reciprocity Agreements with 16 other states, Reciprocity is a formal written agreement between states to recognize each others permits, beyond that, Utah has Informal recognition with 18 other states for a total of 34 states that Recognize (Formally and Informally) the Utah Permit, Florida is now even with Utah with 34 states

OK, using your method, how would Arkansas stack up? Keep in mind, I'm not being argumentative or trying to be disagreeable. I'm just curious how you've come to your conclusion that the Utah permit is the one to have.

Arckadian

Actually I wouldnt say that is what he is getting at per say.... Utah just happens to be a good permit to have because of how much area it does cover. If you get the Florida permit with the Utah permit you cover even more ground.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Actually I wouldnt say that is what he is getting at per say.... Utah just happens to be a good permit to have because of how much area it does cover. If you get the Florida permit with the Utah permit you cover even more ground.

OK, I'm just trying to get a better understanding of what he's driving at.

Arckadian

hehe I talk to him every day at work so I have had a little more time to talk to him about this subject :D

Members online

No members online now.