CA deputies shoot 13 year old with replica asasult rifle

Sgt. Rock

Full Access Member
CA deputies shoot 13 year old with replica assault rifle

SANTA ROSA, Calif.— Northern California sheriff's deputies have shot and killed a 13-year-old boy after repeatedly telling him to drop what turned out to be a replica assault rifle, sheriff's officials and family members said.

Two Sonoma County deputies on patrol saw the boy walking with what appeared to be a high-powered weapon Tuesday afternoon in Santa Rosa, sheriff's Lt. Dennis O'Leary said.

The replica gun resembled an AK-47 with a black magazine cartridge and brown butt, according to a photograph released by the sheriff's office. Deputies would only learn after the shooting that it was a replica, according to O'Leary. It was not clear whether it could fire projectiles such as pellets or BBs.

Rodrigo Lopez identified the boy as his son, Andy, to a newspaper and said the young teen was carrying a toy gun that belonged to a friend.

After spotting the boy, the deputies called for backup and repeatedly ordered him to drop the gun, O'Leary said in a news release. It wasn't clear whether he pointed the replica assault rifle at the deputies or made any type of threatening gesture. The sheriff's office referred calls to the Santa Rosa Police Department, which scheduled a 3 p.m. news conference to address the shooting.

O'Leary said the deputies fired several rounds from their handguns immediately after issuing the orders to drop the rifle.

I see no fault with the deputies who repeatedly asked him to drop the weapon. I have a replica German StG 44 which looks real but I wouldn't be walking down the street with it...common sense dictates it.

Last edited:

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Shoot first, ask questions later.

Once upon a time, cops didn't shoot unless they were shot at. Now a days, if you don't drop the gun fast enough you get shot.

Last edited:

Smith

Don't most of these fake guns have orange painted muzzles? I see no reason to shoot unless he pointed it at somebody, taze or bean bag him if he won't drop it but of course still have a live gun drawn on him as well

TScottW99

Full Access Member
Shoot first, ask questions later.

Once upon a time, cops didn't shoot unless they were shot at. Now a days, if you don't drop the gun fast enough you get shot.

I have read reports that when told to drop the weapon he turned around with the weapon pointed at the officers. Who in their right mind will wait for the shots to come at you before firing when it's already pointed at you? Action is quicker then reaction.

Take a look at the weapon he pointed and tell me you wouldn't have shot.... California boy with replica gun fatally shot by deputies | Reuters

In this country we are fine when a 24 year old dies by pointing a gun or shooting at a cop. But by gosh let the same weapon be pointed at police when the suspect is less then 18 or over 70 and everyone questions it. Why is a bullet less lethal if fired by someone under the age of 18 or over the age of 70?

Also in today's news, "14 year old shoots and kills teacher" "11 year old arrested when he brought a handgun and 400 rounds of ammo to school" "12 year old shoots teacher and self in Nevada"

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
I have read reports that when told to drop the weapon he turned around with the weapon pointed at the officers. Who in their right mind will wait for the shots to come at you before firing when it's already pointed at you? Action is quicker then reaction.

Take a look at the weapon he pointed and tell me you wouldn't have shot.... California boy with replica gun fatally shot by deputies | Reuters

In this country we are fine when a 24 year old dies by pointing a gun or shooting at a cop. But by gosh let the same weapon be pointed at police when the suspect is less then 18 or over 70 and everyone questions it. Why is a bullet less lethal if fired by someone under the age of 18 or over the age of 70?

Also in today's news, "14 year old shoots and kills teacher" "11 year old arrested when he brought a handgun and 400 rounds of ammo to school" "12 year old shoots teacher and self in Nevada"

IMO cops are too quick to fire now a days. Did the kid swing around with the gun at his cheek like he was ready to spray them or was it lowered and perhaps he was turning to see what the heck was going on. Had he been walking down the street taking pot shots at anyone? No, because it was a toy gun. Cops need to be able to assess the situation and use deadly force as a last option. They knew their job had risks going into it. That's why they wear bullet proof vest. Again, IMO, they should have kept behind cover and determined the kids actions.

But I'll also say, neither of us were there to see what actually happened. So they may have been justified in their shooting. But it use to be that they were not to engage unless someone was actually shooting.

My previous comment was more of a general observation. It's the environment we live in.

Last edited:

kwo51

Full Access Member
When they are shooting at you it may be to late. Without being there it is hard to explain.The service life of police officer even after a clean bill shooting is about 5 years.Stress level to high to live with.

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
I have severe issues with this I believe that ALL LEOS should have a beanbag loaded shotgun mounted in front seat.... alot of Leos already carry a shotgun on a mount in the front seat, if they had this a 13 yr old would be alive, but we really don't know how it went down but if my suggestion was put in place alot of law enforcement having to use lethal force would be eliminated !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Concealed 27

STF

Full Access Member
I didn't even read the article but I would never let my daughter play with one of those airsoft guns in public. They just look too real even with the orange paint on the tip. That tip can also be removed and replaced with a regular muzzle device.

I couldn't imagine being a cop these days and having to deal with those kids of situations.

Silver-Bolt

Full Access Member
From what I have seen so far the cops were in the right. The "toy" had no orange muzzle and looks very close to a real AK. At 10ft I am not sure you could tell the difference. He supposedly would not drop it and turned toward the cops with the barrel pointed in their direction. For me, age would not factor into this equation. A rifle does not need to be shouldered to be deadly. A cops vest is not going to stop an AK round.

Sgt. Rock

Full Access Member
SANTA ROSA, Calif. — A Northern California community is anguished over the fatal shooting by a deputy of a popular, 13-year-old boy who had been carrying a pellet gun that looked like an assault rifle.

A Sonoma County sheriff's deputy twice asked the boy, Andy Lopez, to drop the weapon, but instead he raised it in their direction, police said at a news conference Wednesday.

"The deputy's mindset was that he was fearful that he was going to be shot," said Santa Rosa Police Lt. Paul Henry, whose agency is investigating the Tuesday afternoon shooting in Santa Rosa.

Only after the shooting did deputies realize the gun was a plastic replica that looked strikingly similar to a real AK-47 assault rifle, authorities said.

Residents of Santa Rosa, a suburban town of roughly 170,000 people about 50 miles northwest of San Francisco in California's wine country, were shaken by the boy's death.

Hundreds marched on Wednesday night to remember the teen and protest the shooting, chanting "We need justice," as they questioned how the deputy mistook a pellet gun for an assault rifle.

"We don't know the reason why they killed him," Katia Ontiveros, 18, told the Press Democrat of Santa Rosa. She said her brother was Andy's friend. "They should know if a gun is real."

"They should know if a gun is real?"....by looking at the photo below try and guess if the rifle is real..quick you have two seconds to decide who is going down first..you or the suspect.

77900114-23104615.jpg

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
SANTA ROSA, Calif. — A Northern California community is anguished over the fatal shooting by a deputy of a popular, 13-year-old boy who had been carrying a pellet gun that looked like an assault rifle.

A Sonoma County sheriff's deputy twice asked the boy, Andy Lopez, to drop the weapon, but instead he raised it in their direction, police said at a news conference Wednesday.

"The deputy's mindset was that he was fearful that he was going to be shot," said Santa Rosa Police Lt. Paul Henry, whose agency is investigating the Tuesday afternoon shooting in Santa Rosa.

Only after the shooting did deputies realize the gun was a plastic replica that looked strikingly similar to a real AK-47 assault rifle, authorities said.

Residents of Santa Rosa, a suburban town of roughly 170,000 people about 50 miles northwest of San Francisco in California's wine country, were shaken by the boy's death.

Hundreds marched on Wednesday night to remember the teen and protest the shooting, chanting "We need justice," as they questioned how the deputy mistook a pellet gun for an assault rifle.

"We don't know the reason why they killed him," Katia Ontiveros, 18, told the Press Democrat of Santa Rosa. She said her brother was Andy's friend. "They should know if a gun is real."

"They should know if a gun is real?"....by looking at the photo below try and guess if the rifle is real..quick you have two seconds to decide who is going down first..you or the suspect.

77900114-23104615.jpg

If this is true then it was justified.

kwo51

Full Access Member
Clean bill from HR but conscious will never let them forgive themselves. Sorry state we live in.While reaching for been bag gun 2 officers killed by youth with AK 47. The first 2 rounds in their weapon could be rat shoot also. We can not have it both ways.

Silver-Bolt

Full Access Member

77900114-23104615.jpg

Local news this morning showed the "toy" next to a real AK. Very tough to tell them apart. Same size and look for sure.

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
If they get out of the car with a bean loaded shell shotgun there would not be two dead cops even it it were real...that's my point, under the circumstances they did right but my earlier post has validity....just as easy to pull the trigger on the nonlethal shotgun as a lethal handgun..maybe I'm wrong but i don't think so..jmho
Concealed 27

Sgt. Rock

Full Access Member
I can see your point Concealed but they police asked him several times to lay the weapon down. I am sure a AK-47 round travels a lot faster than a bean-bag shotgun round. It's getting shoot first and ask why later.

Here is a link to replica's you can buy online...you tell me if from a short distance if they don't look like the real thing.

Quality Replica Firearms

kwo51

Full Access Member
I think less than lethal rounds are great, There is a time and place for them,not when trading lead ,maybe.

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
I can see your point Concealed but they police asked him several times to lay the weapon down. I am sure a AK-47 round travels a lot faster than a bean-bag shotgun round. It's getting shoot first and ask why later.

Here is a link to replica's you can buy online...you tell me if from a short distance if they don't look like the real thing.

Quality Replica Firearms

I agree they look real, I f I would have had the kid in front of my house and i shot him I would be arrested for murder in the first even thought it was" in self defense"
Concealed 27

TScottW99

Full Access Member
Less lethal is just that. When faced with a lethal threat the force continuum calls for a lethal force.

The other year two officers I have trained and worked with had a call with a man who had attacked his wife. They stop him on the interstate and he comes out of the car with two very large knives. (think butcher knives) My one friend chooses less lethal when he was clearly able to use his gun. He hits the guy's wrist with an expandable baton twice, breaking the wrist. The guy does not drop the knives but gets into his car, still holding the knives. The other friend, an academy classmate, shoots the guy at point blank range with a bean bag. The guy still doesn't drop the knives. :wtf: So the friend fires a second time at point blank range and the guy finally subdues.

No thanks, I'll pass on the bean bag versus AK47.

What people forget is this, what were the officers facing. An AK47. Not a bb gun or air soft gun. It was an AK47 pointed at them. Now that all the smoke is clear and we are all cozy behind our computer screen, we all know that it was an air soft gun. Unfortunately they know it now also and have to live with it every day. Not that it was their fault, the young man who pointed the threat at the officers was at fault.

Members online

No members online now.