build my ar

ninja man

Full Access Member
ok guys, i know nothing about ar builds. my nephews are big into it and make their own complete lowers from scratch. they however live 3 hours away and are always busy. and they also spend more than i would want on their builds. so i bought a pink lower from the group buy to build for my youngest daughter (8, will be a 9th bday present) i need to keep this on somewhat of a budget. lets say $800 max. what should i get, and where should i get it, and is it even possible to have that kind of budget? (not including optics. i have that part already) and lets say i wanted to build 2 of them, hopefully there are deals for multi?

Max

Full Access Member
I don't know much about building rifles either (I'm from gun-afraid germany), but can't you just look up all the parts you need, and put the prices into a calculator?
That way you'd see how much you need to pay.
Keep in mind that you can save money by buying some parts (stocks, forearms) pre-used without any problem.
However, I don't think you can get a "more parts for less money" deal, at least not below huge bulk-buys.
Because why should the manufacturers do that, if they can sell both for the full price?

Max

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
I've not built an AR. I did buy a DPMS (paid too much $$$). Anyhow, with the price of AR's dropping like they have. You might consider picking up a good quality AR right off the shelf and then tweak it to your liking. I think you could do that for well under $800. Unless you just really want to build one yourself.

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
You can build one in your price range. Just need stripped lower ,lower parts kit , and an upper. That's the way I suggest building it with upper fully assembled. Check out palmettto state armory they have everything u need...... not hard to do lower check you tube there are a ton of vids.....hope I helped a little ninja man, Concealed 27

oppo

Full Access Member
You can easily build a quality AR for that much. The key is to first figure out what you want the rifle to be and what qualities you want it to have. For a 9 year old, I doubt a quad rail will be a priority. A standard and inexpensive round flee floating handguard such as the pink one by Hogue would work great and not sacrifice accuracy. I would think weight would be an issue and the biggest source of weight is the barrel. I would look for a 16" pencil weight barrel with .625" gas block seat and ideally with a mid length gas system for softer recoil. Magpul makes their MOE adjustable stock in pink and it will adjust to fit her now and grow with her later. There is no need to go with big name and big money parts when pretty much any reciever will perform exactly the same. Barrel, BCG, & trigger are where it is at. You can build the lower and upper very easily. A trained monkey could do it. Aside from the fun of building it and learning about the rifle, you end up with exactly what you want and and only spend extra money where it is needed.

ninja man

Full Access Member
here in california, every gun needs to be registered. the one loophole is that i can build 5 guns a year and these guns do not require a serial number or any registration at all. so instead of buying one, i would rather build one.

i figure i want everything to be .223. other than that, im open to all suggestions. i will start the hunt on those websites for parts. hopefully i figure it out

oppo

Full Access Member
As far as .223, unless it is a precision build and you are going for bugholes, I would suggest a 5.56 chamber since it will give you more options. You can still shoot .223 just fine but you can also shoot 5.56 ammo with no worries. You will also find a lot more barrels in 5.55 than .223.

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
You be fine, it's really not that hard ninja man, there are so many sites to help you, check out AR 15.com they have tons of info ......
Concealed 27

oppo

Full Access Member
...and lots of videos on YouTube showing how to assemble one. The hardest part is deciding what type of sights/optic to put on top.

Members online

No members online now.