AZ gun instructor killed by 9 year old girl

Sgt. Rock

Full Access Member
Arizona Shooting Range Instructor Killed by Girl With Uzi
By Hasani Gittens

A shooting range instructor in Arizona was accidentally shot and killed by a 9-year-old girl who was learning how to shoot an Uzi, authorities said on Tuesday.

Charles Vacca, 39, was teaching the girl how to use the automatic weapon on Monday morning at the Last Stop outdoor shooting range in White Hills, Arizona, when she pulled the trigger and the kickback caused the gun to lurch over her head, investigators said.

Vacca was hit by a stray bullet and airlifted to University Medical Center in Las Vegas, where he was pronounced dead late Monday. The girl was at the range with her parents at the time, but their names were not released.

Sam Scarmardo, the manager for the Last Stop's shooting range, told NBC News that "the establish practice at most shooting ranges is 8 years old and up with parental supervision."

He said Vacca was a "great guy, with a great sense of humor" and called him "very conscientious and very professional."

Scarmardo said that the range has never had a similar incident in over a decade of being open — "not even a scratch."

"I just ask everybody to pray for Charlie, and pray for the client, she’s going to have a hard time," said Scarmardo.

The Arizona Department of Public Safety referred inquiries to the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms, which didn't return calls for comment.

Ronald Scott, a Phoenix-based firearms safety expert, said most instructors usually have their hands on guns when children are firing high-powered weapons. "You can't give a 9-year-old an Uzi and expect her to control it," Scott told the Associated Press.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Yes very sad. But I gotta ask......why would you teach a 9 year old how to shoot an Uzi? To me that's awfully young (read weak) to be handling a fully auto weapon.

TheOl55

Full Access Member
I agree, teach them to shoot, both of mine were shooting 22's by the age of 5, but a full auto? Sorry I don't get that one. That little girl is my grand daughters age and she is going to need a lot of help to get through this.

But I'm with Jeff, God Bless Them Both.

oppo

Full Access Member
Allowing a 9 year old girl to fire an automatic weapon on her own was an error in judgement that came with a high price. I feel badly for all involved and hope others will learn from this incident and not repeat it.

kwo51

Full Access Member
From the looks of the video he was in a very bad position for helping here shoot. Hind sight always 20/20.

doublestack

Can't wait for the parents to sue the gun range owner for the emotional stress that their daughter has/will go through.
Pretty fucking stupid to let a child fire a auto-loading weapon in the first place.....parents should be beaten severely!
This will surely help the anti-gun lobbyists effort to ban weapons.....fucking pisses me off!

kwo51

Full Access Member
My guess is that weavers were signed to avoid litigation before any range sessions were done.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
My guess is that weavers were signed to avoid litigation before any range sessions were done.

If so, that should be "Case Closed". But that might not stop them from trying. And if they get the right judge to listen to them, it could proceed.

Max

Full Access Member
I might be wrong (as I'm from anti-gun Germany), but aren't hard to handle or heavily recoiling guns usually fixed to the stand on a range, to avoid them going out of control?
And by the way, why was that gun loaded with a full magazine?

Max

oppo

Full Access Member
I might be wrong (as I'm from anti-gun Germany), but aren't hard to handle or heavily recoiling guns usually fixed to the stand on a range, to avoid them going out of control?
And by the way, why was that gun loaded with a full magazine?

Max

No, they generally aren't and although I haven't personally shot an uzi, I have shot 9mm handguns and carbines. I feel pretty confident in saying that particular firearm isn't that difficult to control as the recoil from each round is very light. The problem is that it keeps firing as long as the trigger is pressed. In other words, it is critical to maintain a firm grip on the firearm and remember to let off the trigger when you want it to stop. In this case, a young inexperienced shooter did neither.

As for why the gun was loaded with a presumably full magazine before the girl had demonstrated that she could safely handle the firearm, that is a great question.

Sgt. Rock

Full Access Member
I am sure lawyers are already tripping over each other to represent the family of the young girl in a lawsuit. But if indeed a waiver was signed prior then I can't see a lawsuit even filed. Since Arizona is a pro-gun state too..I don't see a judge considering the case in question. Unless maybe the Gifford's get behind the family and push for some action.

Members online

No members online now.