Water Purification using Household Bleach

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Here is that recipe for purifying water with household bleach. Not a bad idea to keep some in your Bug Out Bag. I woudln't suggest a baby food jar since they don't seal well IMO for liquid, but that amount of bleach in a container the size of baby food jar will purify quite a bit of water if you were near a river, stream or pond. I'm printing and laminating this recipe. It's also going in the Bug Out Bag and Natural Disaster Kit.

WATER PURIFCATION

1) Clear water is a sign of pure water. Always drain long-standing pipes for 30 seconds to one minute before drinking! (Cheap remote motels?)

2) 1 Gallon water is disinfected by 8-16 drops of regular household bleach (visually about 1/4 of a teaspoon) - double that for cloudy water. Shake and let stand 30 minutes. One teaspoon will disinfect 5 gallons. Immediately after treating, water must initially have a slight smell of chlorine. If it does not - repeat the process.

3) Household bleach is relatively harmless. The smell or �waft� of chlorine is not bad: it indicates that water is treated and germ free. Once treated and disinfected, the chlorine smell will go away in a few days.

4) Regularly used water from large tanks may be treated once or twice a month with 1 Oz. bleach per 200 gallons or 5 Oz. bleach per 1000 gallons.

5) Long-standing water in tanks will be disinfected w/ 1 pint household bleach per 1000 gallons. (2500 gal tanks are fine with 3 pints.)

6) Bleach effectively kills bacteria and viruses, stops smells and then breaks down. It's effective germ killing alkaline property is completely neutralized very quickly. It does not stay chemically active in tanks for more than a few days. Most germs require sunlight to grow. Store water in the dark.

7) If water is relatively clear: but has a noticeable smell of chlorine: it is drinkable, disinfected, and harmless. Humans need 2 quarts per day.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Another Purpose Bleach in your BO Bag !!!

Oh yeah, I remembered something else Bleach can be used for.

Out on my dad's 160 Acres, he's got Poison Ivy and Oak all over the place in patches. My son is very allergic to it and swells up and blisters pretty quick with just looking at the stuff. Before my dad built his house out there, If my son got in the stuff, it pretty much ended our trip and we went home to get him in the shower and Benydryl. My step mother told us to dab his blisters with Clorox and wipe down the affected area with 50/50 water and bleach rag. We did it one time, and damn, no kididing, within minutes the itch and burn stopped, and the blisters gone in a couple hours. Before, we'd get him home in shower and bath of oatmeal and Benydryl, but he'd still end up missing school the next day from irritating blisters. So I know it worked for him. I wouldn't want to tell anyone something for certain without some back up, so I found some stuff that does say yes, 50/50 bleack/water is treatment for removing Poison Ivy & Oak resin. Another good reason to put some bleach in your Prepper Kit or Bug Out Bag.

Found this on Health911.com

Bleach
Household bleach can be used to remove the poison ivy resin and treat the itch. Dab the affected area with a cotton ball soaked in a mixture of half water/half bleach. If you put this solution on blisters, they should be gone the next day. Should the above remedy irritate your skin, try making a wet compress and add some table salt or Epsom salts to the mixture, and apply for 30 minutes. This will help dry out the area.

Mockstar

Full Access Member
Thanks for the posting the water/bleach mix for poison ivy. I usually get poison ivy rashes on me about 3 times a year because in my line of work it's sometimes impossible to avoid even if I know its there. We have poison ivy wet wipes in the truck, but they are seldom effective, and im stuck itching for for a couple days.

I will definitely be trying this this summer.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Thanks for the posting the water/bleach mix for poison ivy. I usually get poison ivy rashes on me about 3 times a year because in my line of work it's sometimes impossible to avoid even if I know its there. We have poison ivy wet wipes in the truck, but they are seldom effective, and im stuck itching for for a couple days.

I will definitely be trying this this summer.

Sounds as if you're as bad as my son. Now my dad, that drunk ass redneck can literally lay down in the stuff and roll around in it and not get affected at all.

Be sure to let us know how it works or any adverse reaction. With my son, it does leave his skin dry in that area, but no big deal. His skin rehydrates by the next day and there is no itching or burning after the initial tingling while cleaning the resin off.

Mockstar

Full Access Member
My old man was the same way, and so are some of the guys I work with. I'm not sure if they had built up an immunity over time, or if that's even possible, but he'd never have any reaction to it.

Members online

No members online now.