Video Game Consoles, XBox, Playstation etc

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Congrats Kid, :waytogo:

I'd much rather buy my kid a membership to the Golf Course/Country Club than an Xbox or Playstation.
But then agian, I'm weird like that. Game Consoles weren't allowed in this house for the longest time, and even then when I allowed them, my kids had to save their money and buy their own. I refused to buy anything past a Gameboy, and that was so they'd have something to do in the back seat while traveling on long trips.

SWSS

Full Access Member
Congrats Kid, :waytogo:

I'd much rather buy my kid a membership to the Golf Course/Country Club than an Xbox or Playstation.
But then agian, I'm weird like that. Game Consoles weren't allowed in this house for the longest time, and even then when I allowed them, my kids had to save their money and buy their own. I refused to buy anything past a Gameboy, and that was so they'd have something to do in the back seat while traveling on long trips.
herd that nice for the long trips. I have a XBox but it was a "freebie" when I bought my laptop. I kill sometime at night when they are in bed or I am at home with some Call of Duty or Battlefield. He dosnt play them as it is password protected for any game rating over E or T and we DO NOT go online to play...I just talked to him today and he was playing "EOD" with our shepard mix as his "workin" dog! I believe he said something to the effect his sister was a Taliban "insurgent". :p I told him to be careful or she would kick his ass! :fca5278e:

Maxx2893

Full Access Member
Re: Congrats to my son!

Not trying to question your parenting or anything, but why don't you play online? It can be a lot of fun, and you can mute the other people so you don't hear anything they say.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Not trying to question your parenting or anything, but why don't you play online? It can be a lot of fun, and you can mute the other people so you don't hear anything they say.

Didn't want to hijack the Thunder from SWSS's son. So I cleaned up his thread to keep it on topic.

For me, it wasn't a matter of Language, or Violent Video Games. It was a matter of health and addiction. So many kids today are obese because they sit their lazy ass in front of a TV screen all day with a controller in their hand.

I did give in finally when I seen something on the news, or one of those news shows like 60 minutes or something, that surgeons actually play video games to improve eye to hand coordination and hand dexterity. That made sense to me, and development of reflexes and quick decision making skills.

So then I did allow the kids to buy one with their own saved up money. The 2 kids put their funds together about bought their own. I did limit it though, unless it was bad weather outside. During the school year,, they got their 1st hour after getting home from school, to chill out and relax a bit, then the next hour didn't happen until their homework was done. If there wasn't much going on, they might have even gotten 2 more hours in the evening after homework. And it wasn't as if I had a stop watch on them. If they were in the middle of game they usually got to finish unless it was one of those all nighter games.

The games are not all that bad, I just didn't want it to become my kids way of life. But you can bet I used it to my advantage as reward and punishment. The threat of no video games for a week, went a long way. :rofl:

Arckadian

There are ways to still keep the health of the child and the addiction in check. I grew up with gaming consoles and computers. I still spent a good amount of time out doors and active. For me the games were great fun and a very welcome release, but they are still no substitute for real friends you can go and play with.

And I have found a study that showed that a doctor was studying the effects gaming had on young children. It helped improve hand eye coordiantion and higher reasoning skills. Granted that all depends on the games the child plays, but my little girl is almost a year and a half old and already has her first big toy.... my old iPhone 4. :) lots of educational games have been installed and she likes to play with it but she likes to run around and hang out with her cousin more.

I am pretty sure that I will have a tech head baby but I am fine with that because she still stays pretty active despite having access to cool toys. its all in how you approach the subject I think.

Mockstar

Full Access Member
I have an 11 year old son and a 4 year old son. My oldest has his own flat screen and xbox with WIFI in his room. He has the same rules as Hotrod had said. He can get home from school...... play some games with friends online for a while, but then its homework/reading time. My youngest is allowed to play on my xbox, but is limited to the types of games he can play.

Both are very active in hockey 6 months out of the year and are in no way lazy, or out of shape.

Good parenting, and moderation are key.

SWSS

Full Access Member
thanky HR for the thread diversion.
Not against online gaming, would love to have a larger game play interaction. my chunky munkey about it is the time factor I have at home with the family (which can be slim to none). Then when I am not home Cari has to do all homework and other "parenting" duties that I would help with if i was home.
when summer is here and the kids are out of school, they stay with the in laws...they have an awesome pool.

So....as it has been said before, good ass beatings by the parents and moderation are key...thats probably not what you meant was it Mockstar???

SWSS

Full Access Member
oh by the by and by, We have a WII, XBOX 360, kinect and a PS2. So yeah, I like to game it too.

Arckadian

I have 2 PC's, 2 laptops, 3 iPhones, 1 iPad, 1 Wii, 1 PS3, 1 XBox w/Kinect and...... ROCKBAND for PS3!!! :D All in all I think I have somewhere around 600 different games.

Arckadian

ehh gotta have something to do to help feed the mind :D besides all these games are giving me ideas for my own creations

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
No Doubt, I came to the realization there are several benefits to the games. My kids did get computers early on. Each got their own computer in their rooms at very young ages, like 3 yo for my son, and my daughter 7 since she was older when PC's got common in households. My son, we did the Reader Rabbit games. Before he was 4 he knews his alphabet, phonics, like the sounds letters made, colors, count to 100 etc. So I didn't cheat them out completely. But it does seem everyone here understands the limits. Its the parents that throw their kids in a bedroom with their own game console as the babysitter and never interact with their kids, and let their kids eat their meals in their rooms with a game controller that are the problem, and there are lots and lots of parents out there doing it. And then they wonder why they're seeing their kid on the breaking news that just killed 12 other kids and committed suicide. I don't believe it's the game content either, lets be real. Raise your kid right, they'll understand the difference between a violent video game and real life. Of course a 6 yo don't need to be playing a game talking about whores, killing fuckin bitches etc either. :rofl: But still, parental common sense is the problem, not the games IMO.

Members online

No members online now.