Stopping Power

kwo51

Full Access Member
This is felt in you nerve endings and can do damage. The 185 gr- 45 acp can get the old nerves twitching also.

oppo

Full Access Member
yes, for sure .40 has more recoil than a .45. .40 and 357Sig are high pressure rounds. 2 different kinds of recoil. .45 had a hard solid recoil. .40 has an aggresive snappier recoil.

Yep, the 357 Sig is snappy, as is the 40. The 45 is a bit more of a shove. What gun they are shot from also makes a big difference.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Weight of the bullet, weight of the gun, is it a hot load, is it a mild load all come into play. A .40 typically is traveling faster than a .45 (none +P) but the .45 being larger and heavier has more stopping power (more kinetic energy) . And typically the .45 handgun weighs more than a .40 so it absorbes more of the recoil. But put a .45 in a little pocket gun and see how manageable that is. That's just my 2 cents.

kwo51

Full Access Member
For sure . I let my rebuilt elbows do the talking. Little big bores are the least shot at the range for me. After a mag or 2 from a glock 27 size gun my hands are worthless for some time. My 22 buck mark is fine. Weed eater and chain saws set me back a couple days. getting old sucks. We won't even get into the eyes.

Full Access Member
For sure . I let my rebuilt elbows do the talking. Little big bores are the least shot at the range for me. After a mag or 2 from a glock 27 size gun my hands are worthless for some time. My 22 buck mark is fine. Weed eater and chain saws set me back a couple days. getting old sucks. We won't even get into the eyes.

I'm right there with you brother, i have been in construction all my life, And believe me i am paying for it now. Just got hearing aids 2 weeks ago, Now that takes some getting used to. LOL

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Every time I hear ".40 cal." and "snappy" in the same sentence I throw up in my mouth a little bit. The recoil impulse of the .40S+W has been so overblown it is almost laughable.

Put your purse down when you are shooting and you'll be fine:favorites37:

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator

I've been doing construction for over 18 years now. I assemble and install garage doors. The first thing I do as I'm getting out of the truck is put in my ear plugs. So far my hearing is still pretty good. Which is surprising since that little battery powered impact gun can make a racket. And there's no telling what these years of using that impact gun has done to my wrist and elbow.

And my eye's.......well I can't see a damn thing up close without my glasses. Use to have excellent vision until I reached that age where your eyes won't cooperate anymore. I hate it. Tried getting some contacts but they only worked in bright sunlight. Go inside the garage and everything gets blurry again. Something to do with the eye's dilating and what part you're using to see through. Failed experiment.

kwo51

Full Access Member
Hillty gun made me run for ear plugs too.40 cal in the big plastic guns is ok but in the keltec p11 it hurt. In a real 1911 it is fun. I dropped down to 165 from 180 in my Glock 27.

oppo

Full Access Member
Every time I hear ".40 cal." and "snappy" in the same sentence I throw up in my mouth a little bit. The recoil impulse of the .40S+W has been so overblown it is almost laughable.

Put your purse down when you are shooting and you'll be fine:favorites37:
I am not saying that plenty of people don't exaggerate it but there is a big difference between describing recoil or comparing differences in recoil and whining about it.

All the service calibers are pussycats, even the 10mm. Even after 400+ rounds, my 357 Sig and 357 magnum are very pleasant to shoot. That doesn't make them all equal though. My 45-70 definitely has more recoil than my 30-06 but the 30-06 is snappier. I can shoot my 454 Casull, no problem. Next to it, the recoil of my 357 Sig might as well be a bb gun. I can make it absolutely sing but I can still shoot a 9mm even faster.

Last edited:

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Yep, the 357 Sig is snappy, as is the 40. The 45 is a bit more of a shove. What gun they are shot from also makes a big difference.

Yep, that's the difference right there. The high pressure rounds have a quick snappy aggressive recoil, the .45 is more of hard solid hit. This is probably why women do much better with a .45. For some reason, and not sure why, but the women I've been around that shoot, they all do much better with a .45 than any other round and that even goes for the follow up shot. Seems they can control that hard recoil and be right back on their target. I've seen more women outshoot men with a .45 than any other caliber.

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
Very true about women, my friends girl outshoots me with a glock 21.... she was happy last time at range with me and my bf ..... she shoots well for a very small girl.
Concealed 27

Members online

No members online now.