Stopping Power

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Thought this was interesting. Shows the calibers and their stopping power.

OK, going to the safe to retrieve my 12ga.

PO0103power-2a-graph-1.jpg

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
Yeah ive seen one of those charts they are very accurate... I like to look at my personal protection rds and see what's up with 40 caliber and 9mm. I would like to grab a 45 but not sure if I want get in debt with other mouth to feed and it also does not eat the same food. I have 2 fourty calibers and 2 9mm but I almost always carry a .40..... my G27 or my G23, usually the latter is my primary care weapon. Customized with all the bells and whistles I wanted on it, I love all Glocks but that's my baby........
Concealed 27

oppo

Full Access Member
One major factor they don't consider is bullet construction. It makes a HUGE difference. Some of their math is a little off as well.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Notice, swinging a shovel has alot more stopping power than some of those. My mom had a .25 ACP. I told her to throw that damn thing away. All it'll do is piss someone off and they'll have it shoved up your ass in less than 10 seconds. She did sell it to someone and hasn't replaced it with anything though. I hope she doesn't learn the hard way.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Notice, swinging a shovel has alot more stopping power than some of those. My mom had a .25 ACP. I told her to throw that damn thing away. All it'll do is piss someone off and they'll have it shoved up your ass in less than 10 seconds. She did sell it to someone and hasn't replaced it with anything though. I hope she doesn't learn the hard way.

Do you have to have a concealed carry permit for a shovel? Lol. That's why I carry a .40 or a .45 or a 9mm on some occasions. But that's only because my 12ga. is too uncomfortable to conceal.

oppo

Full Access Member
Shovel = tough to carry and limited range

12 gauge = tough to carry

Pistol = always on the hip (for those of us who carry anyway)

My mom also has a 25. I have tried to get her to shoot something bigger but she is not a gun person. In the mean time, I will just keep making sure it is maintained and be glad that it is better than nothing.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
^True.
You can't miss with a big enough bullet to match the "stopping power" of a small bullet.

kwo51

Full Access Member
That being said I still like my Kimber CDP for my CCW gun. Shoots where I aim and feels good in my hand. Second place is glock 27.

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
I prefer my 40 calibers for carry, enough stopping power but able to control the shot placement on double taps, I practice on silhouette targets drawing and double tap center mass.
Concealed 27

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
yes, for sure .40 has more recoil than a .45. .40 and .357Sig are high pressure rounds. 2 different kinds of recoil. .45 had a hard solid recoil. .40 has an aggresive snappier recoil.

Members online

No members online now.