Research Question: Napalm

thirdgenstudios

Hey guys. I joined this site for the bow hunting / rifle section but thought I would poise an off-topic question since I'm here anyway. I have been working on a post-apocalyptic novel and have some questions regarding napalm. I was hoping someone could help me with a question that has been stumping me. Is it possible to survive a napalm strike if you are inside a skyscraper building and near a top level? I'm aware that the flames tend to suck up the oxygen and create a terrible amount of carbon monoxide in the immediate area but should there be a point where you'd most likely be at a safe distance vertically?

I'm sure the NSA has been having a blast with my research this last week.

:laughing1:

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
It would be possible to survive the napalm attack. As long as the person wasn't in direct contact with the napalm, he/she may be OK. Napalm doesn't really have much concussive effect to destroy hard structures or even to break windows. The bombs generally burst in the air and spread the chemical in a wide area.
Being that the skyscraper is surrounded by air, any oxygen that is burned off will quickly be replaced with more. If the windows are blown out, the carbon dioxide will dissipate. The real danger is secondary fires and the structural damage that would cause. The are a lot of nasty chemicals that are given off when a building burns, that would probably be a bigger concern than the initial attack.

Now, an FAE like a "daisycutter" would be a different story

Last edited:

Max

Full Access Member
I think the main problem wouldn't be the oxygen (there's plenty of that in a skyscraper), but the resulting fire.
Napalm, as far as I know, burns quite hot, so either the building would catch fire leading to a "structural failure" (collaps), or the elevators and staircases would cause an effect similar to the chimney in a house, sucking the flames into the upper levels of the skyscraper in a very short time (too short to get away with anything short of a parachute).
But who knows, maybe your hero gets a zip-line?

Hope my post was any helpful

Max

By the way, fellow (hopefully soon to be) author here as well.
Imagine how much fun the german NSA-pendant had with me researching for a war-novel.

thirdgenstudios

Thanks for the welcome and great answers. It was all very helpful. I'm sure the NSA is having a blast with watching over my research lol.

Max

Full Access Member
Thanks for the welcome and great answers. It was all very helpful. I'm sure the NSA is having a blast with watching over my research lol.

Maybe they'll even help you with your research, by showing you how a detonating napalm-bomb works.
Right after they drop one onto your part of town.

Max

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
Beware of the eye in the sky....they are watching for sure. Welcome to weapons forum and please don't let us see you on the news for detonating napalm lmao.....
Concealed 27

Members online

No members online now.