Rare rhino hunt to be auctioned off

Sgt. Rock

Full Access Member
HOUSTON — Plans to auction a rare permit that will allow a hunter to take down an endangered black rhino are drawing criticism from some conservationists, but the organizer says the fundraiser could bring in more than $1 million that would go toward protecting the species.

John J. Jackson III belongs to the Dallas Safari Club, which earlier this month announced it would auction the permit — one of only five offered annually by Namibia in southwestern Africa. The permit is also the first to be made available for purchase outside of that country.

"This is advanced, state-of-the-art wildlife conservation and management techniques," Jackson, a Metairie, La.-based international wildlife attorney, said Wednesday. "It's not something the layman understands, but they should.

"This is the most sophisticated management strategy devised," he said. "The conservation hunt is a hero in the hunting community."

Some animal preservation groups are bashing the idea.

"More than ridiculous," Wayne Pacelle, president of the Humane Society of the United States, said Wednesday.

"At a time when the global community is rallying to protect the elephant and rhino from the onslaught of people with high-powered weapons, this action sends exactly the wrong signal. It's absurd. You're going to help an endangered animal by killing an endangered member of that population?"

So their logic is by killing one they can save others??..I have to agree with the Humane Society on this one. The privileged rich using their wealth to "bag" a rare rhino and stick it on their wall for their friends to all see. I think those poachers are the ones who should have their heads on a wall.

Arckadian

I tried looking at this from the other side, I can see where the money would help, and how it could be used to help protect these animals . . . That said though, I agree with Sgt. Rock, this is a ploy to help the self indulgent rich in rare "Trophies" to hang on their wall or their own private country clubs and brag about. If they want to raise money they should find a way to do it that does not involve the death of the thing they are trying to protect.

Sgt. Rock

Full Access Member
You want a freakin rhino head mounted..here's one and it's under 100 bucks. Profits from the sale goes into the training of rhino's to handle automatic weapons with the sole purpose to shoot back...

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Wall-Mounted-African-Rhino-Head/dp/B007HKO8BI]Amazon.com - Wall Mounted African Rhino Head[/ame]

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Republican in name only not so rare here.Needs an ass on the wall also.

They're just to be shot for target practice. More of a pest than anything. Absolutely no trophy value there. Wouldn't want one hanging on my wall.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts