Opinions on Froglube

TheFuzz

Full Access Member
Heard the stories, watched the reviews, and I bought some to try. Since I carry every day, I liked the fact that its a relatively "dry" lube, and won't really run out of the gun or dry out like most oils do.

I haven't taken any of my guns to the range yet after being treated with the stuff but I gotta say, contrary to the reviews I've seen, the action sure isn't as slick on my 1911 after going from Slide Glide grease and Gunbutter oil to the Froglube, which has me a little worried. Supposedly this stuff heats up and starts sweating once you fire the gun, and that's when it reaches max lubrication...but in my mind that seems kinda like the firearm equivalent of what the oil in your car does during a cold start - it has to warm up and circulate a bit before providing max protection.

Anyone else use the stuff and/or feel the same way? I'll probably keep it for my knives and cuffs and other non-gun items that need rust protection because it seems good for that kind of stuff, but not sure about the guns...

IronworksTactical

I finally gave in and tried it. I've ran the carbine now in 3 classes without cleaning except a quick drag threw of the bore. I am pretty much sold on it at this point. I carry daily as well for work and its now on my sig 229.

Arckadian

I have never heard of it to be honest I use CLP (brand names dont matter to me) cleaners mostly.... I will have to find some and see what I think...

You can get it at any ole gun store right?

SHWELL

I have been using it on everything for a few weeks now. It does what it advertises as far as i have been able to tell. I thought my bolt carrier seemed a bit dry after initial coating, but after the first range visit I was sold. Inspected after every 50 shots and it was great.. The cleanup after 300 rounds (Steel Cased), the cleanup wasnt bad at all. A simple wiping and it passed the wrag test.. Def worth the money spent on it so far.

I have treated my Oly K16, SA 1911, and quite a few knives...

*I still plan to do my traditional cleaning every 3-6 months. But it is said that numerous applications improve protection and lubricity.

FROGLUBEPICS021.jpg

Last edited:

Arckadian

Well I got some Froglube and made sure that I cleaned my XDS a yesterday to get ready fer the range..... I think it worked out pretty good. I cleaned the weapons again today with it and I am looking forward to the next time I can fire the weapon.... See how well it works once it has been on the weapon for a longer period. Soo far I like it... kinda smells like peppermint or Icy Hot.... Jeff thinks it smells like Pepto Bismol...:)

JTKustoms

guy at the local dealer gave me a small 99 cent container to try out, i'm still pretty new to all the different cleaners since all i have used is basic rem oil. I used it on my mosin and marlin 795, so i'm also interested in how this stuff is

Silver-Bolt

Full Access Member
Hoppes for cleaning and Mobil-1 5w-30 for lube. No need to spend big $$ on "gun oil". If a synthetic oil can handle the heat, friction, and RPM's of an engine it will do fine on a firearm.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts