Opinions on .40 cal 1911

infidel

I am in the market for a .40 cal handgun. Thinking about a 1911 variant vs a HK , thoughts?

The reason I'm going .40 is that I already have a thousand rounds of hornady ammo that I don't want to get rid of. Sold my Beretta Px4 now I'm looking to replace.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
I'm a fan of the .40. Not so much a fan of the 1911. So, my opinion may be a bit biased. If you are going to buy a heavy, clunky, ancient design...it might as well shoot a heavy, clunky, ancient cartridge.:chewie:

Of the choices you stated, I would get an HK P2000

Given my choice, I would choose a CZ75 (again), either that or a Glock 22.

cce1302

Full Access Member
I'm a fan of the .40 S& caliber and of the 1911, just not in the same firearm. Call it a blatant prejudice or whatever you like, but it's just not my thing. .40 is fantastic for plastic (I have an XD40 3" and a 4") but 1911s should be .45 acp. :)

infidel

I was thinking the heavy clunky would calm the snap of the 40 some.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

kwo51

Full Access Member
Most of the big name 1911 makers make it in 40 S&W for departmental rules.The 40 does well on the 1911 platform,and the aluminum frame are almost as light as plastic. One leo group here used HK's and found costumer service to be lacking so went to Glocks. The Sops and swat I know when allowed go to 5" 1911's. SS went to 5.7.FBI uses SIGs special units use 1911"s . WHY for the same reason wheel gun people like 357.

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
Sell your rounds and get a 45 1911..... I think that if you want a 40 ( I have 2) I would go with an hk or glock. All my pistols are glock so.... I would go with a full size G22.
Concealed 27

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
I was thinking the heavy clunky would calm the snap of the 40 some.

:beatdeadhorse5:
I think the "snappy recoil" argument is vastly over-stated. Maybe it's because I've been shooting .40 so long, but I don't see a vast difference between it and the 9mm or .357Sig.

Silver-Bolt

Full Access Member
I had the opportunity to test drive a STI limited gun in .40cal this past weekend. Holy crap that was nice. Granted a custom $3k gun should be nice but it was incredible how good it was. I am a 1911 fan but it seems silly to me to buy a gun to fit your ammo. Sell/trade your ammo for a caliber you already shoot. I have never jumped on the .40 wagon for the sole reason of not wanting to deal with another caliber. I already feed .22, .380, .38spl, 9mm, 10mm, & .45 for pistols.

kwo51

Full Access Member
STI makes a over seas version in 40 S&W .Gun is made in the Philippians and is a great shooter. Cost is entry level for an STI.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts