Ok fellas ask me anything about CBRN or WMD

Bluez

Full Access Member
or NBC or whatever you wish to call it.

I have edited manuals on this subject and developed response methods/protocols for specialized WMD response teams and mobile laboratories.

While my degrees are in Chemistry, I have also done quite a bit of Molecular Biology and Radiation detection.

Based on some of the remarks in other threads I suspect it may be helpful to the group.

:)

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Are iodine tablets really effective and to what degree? What level of radiation will they protect you from?

Bluez

Full Access Member
Are iodine tablets really effective and to what degree? What level of radiation will they protect you from?

they are effective but only for a exact application.
That is to protect yourself form the presence of radioactive iodine.
They dont protect against radiation itself.

This isotope is mostly associated with used reactor cores and some (but not all!) nuclear weapons explosions.

Radioactive iodine is one of the few significant threats from fallout as it stays in you and so can keep irradiating you form inside and thats a threat.
(Most people learn this from hollywood and so have hugely magnified perceptions of both nuclear weapons effects and fallout effects. The majority of other fallout effects you have to be pretty unlucky and be exactly at the wrong place at the wrong time to be afffected).

The iodine tablet saturates your thyroid and when its saturated it will not uptake radioactive Iodine from the environment.

So in summary:
- yes it works quite well for that , but it is not a panacea for a generalized dose, but its application is to improve your safety for eating, drinking, stuff from the environment post-event.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
I'm not worried about any of that stuff.
I have plastic sheets and duct tape for my windows:)

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
If a radical group blows up a nuclear reactor near you, you might want to rethink that. If you don't have one that you might possibly be down wind from then you have no concern I guess. I haven't gotten one yet but have considered a geiger counter. At least that way if something does happen I can better judge what I'm dealing with. I've got a nuclear plant about 50 miles South of me. Under the right conditions I could see fallout. Hopefully the iodine tablets will be all the defense I need. Ya just never know......

Sgt. Rock

Full Access Member
What are the odds of a terrorist group like ISIS or Al-Queda actually getting hold of a nuclear weapon?..or should I be more concerned about someone smuggling a "dirty bomb" up through Mexico due to our porous borders and say lighting up LA.

kwo51

Full Access Member
More afraid of obama taking our rights away!!!!! Then giving our country to the UN scum bags. Then dirty bombs and EMP's. A mass causality event either weather or man made could set the US up for loss of all civil rights and plunge us into a totally oppressive form of government. They are just looking for an excuses to do it. Russia and china at our door steps and our military is at the gay bar drinking cool aid.

Bluez

Full Access Member
I see I have to some writing to do here ...
But am in a hurry to get out the door, so I'll post something up on Sunday or Sat nite :)

Bluez

Full Access Member
I prefer to answer specific questions but I realize from the responses that I need to write a small essay on the Fallout subject.

I teach CBRN/WMD seminars to preppers and I think I have awrite-up somewhere i cna simply copy/paste.

Just need to find it bear with me pls :)

Last edited:

Sgt. Rock

Full Access Member
I remembered back in the mid 70's the Stars and Stripes proclaimed our government was designing a neutron bomb...that is to kill much of the enemy as possible thru radiation exposure but to leave buildings intact. Is this something still around or simply wishful thinking on our part and wouldn't the buildings after the blast be radioactive also??..and what is the difference between a neutron and a cobalt device..questions questions..

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
It amazes me how OUR government can have the Nukes but nooone else can. Granted some trigger happy idiots don't need them, but really, when we say we treatied with other countries to get rid of ours of they did the same... Do you really think we did? Sure we did. At least a few to show good faith, but I'm willing to bet, we have plenty laying around in various locations pointed in strategic directions.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Don't forget, Iraq still has some. Dubya Bush never found them, so they're still there somewhere. :shrug:

Bluez

Full Access Member
I remembered back in the mid 70's the Stars and Stripes proclaimed our government was designing a neutron bomb...that is to kill much of the enemy as possible thru radiation exposure but to leave buildings intact. Is this something still around or simply wishful thinking on our part and wouldn't the buildings after the blast be radioactive also??..and what is the difference between a neutron and a cobalt device..questions questions..

Ok to answer this one won't require me to write any essays.

The so -called "Neutron bomb" is not in the inventory anymore.

It was still a nuclear device w/ a boom, but its characteristics were such that extra neutrons where released in great excess.

Neutrons can be just as deadly as Xrays/Gamma rays.
ONe of the differencse is, Neutrons penetrate where the usually very penetrative Gammas/Xrays get stopped.

Neutrons get thru the lead based anti radiation liner of then Soviet pact tanks.
(Gamma would have been very weakend by the anti rad liner in them)

Concrete is also well penetrated by neutrons.

In the end much infrastructure would have been intact but many folks would have died of the dose they received.

Sgt. Rock

Full Access Member
Ok thanks for the update..been losing sleep thinking about neutrons and scientific formula's. As for my cobalt question it seems by placing ordinary metal cobalt-59 into a nuclear warhead and exploding it..the internal reaction would change it to radioactive isotope cobalt-60 and the fallout would be fatal. There is still rumblings that the Soviet Union has a so called "Doomsday Device" that if attacked their computers would automatically trigger a massive cobalt nuclear device rendering life on our planet extinct...wonderful.

Bluez

Full Access Member
Sorry i been inactive for a while I am on a new WMD response team.
Going on a ruckmarch tomorrow but hopefully will have sometime on Sunday :)

kwo51

Full Access Member
The US has one too. We call it Yellow stone. A couple of nukes down the old pup shoot could set off world extinction size results. This is according to the KGB.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts