My daughter dove hunting

STF

Full Access Member
My daughter expressed wanting to dove hunt with me this year. Probably not going to hit anything this year but I want to start looking for a starter shotgun. I'm thinking 20ga and maybe single shot so all she has to worry about is aiming and so that it is light.

Suggestions?

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Light weight isn't all it's cracked up to be in a shotgun. The lighter the gun, the more the felt recoil.
The most important thing is to make sure the gun fits her. A semi or pump may be a bit heavier, but the fit is more important than the weight.

For doves, a 20 should be plenty of gun.

Have fun

STF

Full Access Member
Light weight isn't all it's cracked up to be in a shotgun. The lighter the gun, the more the felt recoil.
The most important thing is to make sure the gun fits her. A semi or pump may be a bit heavier, but the fit is more important than the weight.

For doves, a 20 should be plenty of gun.

Have fun

That's what I'm thinking also. I think I'm just gonna go the tried and true 870 pump Remington route.

kwo51

Full Access Member
If she is just getting into it take her skeet or trap shooting.There is a range close to me here in florida that rents shotguns . They will measure and fit the person if requested.

STF

Full Access Member
A Mossberg 500 with a Kicklite stock. Simple, reliable and almost no recoil.

I'll look into it. I've always HATED the mossy with the safety loacation bolt release etc. but I do love their new furniture system.

If she is just getting into it take her skeet or trap shooting.There is a range close to me here in florida that rents shotguns . They will measure and fit the person if requested.

I will definitely be taking her skeet shooting.

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
Glad to see your daughters interested in hunting, i think that its great. You will have a great bond with her, not many girls can say there "going hunting with dad this weekend"
I think its awesome...God bless you and good luck with this endeaver, im sure it will be great for both of you.....
Concealed 27

Assault

My daughter expressed wanting to dove hunt with me this year. Probably not going to hit anything this year but I want to start looking for a starter shotgun. I'm thinking 20ga and maybe single shot so all she has to worry about is aiming and so that it is light.

Suggestions?

I don't know how old ur daughter is, but my 10 year old daughter shoots a moss 510 with no problem. When we bird hunt, she uses a full choke due to it having a short barrel and doesn't hold a good pattern past 30yrds with a mod choke.

http://www.mossberg.com/products/shotguns/pump-action/mossberg-510-mini

If its up high, it's coming to the ground

Members online

No members online now.