M16 for longer distances?

Max

Full Access Member
Hello everyone

If someone without military education (but with experience on guns) would use an M16 on longer distances, where would be the "end of realism"?
On the example of a "human-sized" target.

50 yards, hundred, twohunded, or even more?

Thanks,
Max

RangerDanger

Full Access Member
300 yards easily. With a better barrel, optics and the right ammo they can be accurate out to 500-600 yards

Arckadian

The limit of an accurate (general Marksman) is 500-600 yards as Ranger has said.... A good Sniper has managed a shot of 1500 Yards. But that requires a lot of skill and knowledge.

cce1302

Full Access Member
With a 20" barrel and iron sights, 500 yards prone.

Marine Corps doctrine says 550, but I never shot out that far.

The service rifle matches shoot out to 1000 yards with the M16, but the target is bigger and the rifles are accurized & tuned for it.

Silver-Bolt

Full Access Member
M16 is a select fire military only weapon. The AR15 is the semi-auto civilian version. A good shooter should have no problem with a human sized target at 300 meters. A great shooter will be able to reach out much further.

cce1302

Full Access Member
M16 is a select fire military only weapon. The AR15 is the semi-auto civilian version. A good shooter should have no problem with a human sized target at 300 meters. A great shooter will be able to reach out much further.

There are a lot of pre-1986 M-16s available in the US, although the $20-30,000 price tag puts it out of the reach of most of us.

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
For sure...... I thought you could get one for alot less but I'm not current on select fire weapons.. I know an mp5 would cost u that much but seems high to me.... but like everything else the ffls are asking way to much for all guns IMO ....Concealed 27

BrothersInArms

Supporting Vendor
Hello everyone

If someone without military education (but with experience on guns) would use an M16 on longer distances, where would be the "end of realism"?
On the example of a "human-sized" target.

50 yards, hundred, twohunded, or even more?

Thanks,
Max

I shot competitively with USAMU (U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit), service rifle class with a 20"barrel and open sights to 600 meters. The weapon is capable.

kwo51

Full Access Member
So light of bullet it is affected by wind and anything in thing way.308 at 500 yards was easy to get 500 yards 10 rings.

Max

Full Access Member
I think the condition in the (made-up) situation are perfect (except for the shooter being no soldier):
-Inside a building
-Best possible configuration
-No wind, no rain, nothing in the way
-From one story of the building into the one below

Max

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
I think the condition in the (made-up) situation are perfect (except for the shooter being no soldier):
-Inside a building
-Best possible configuration
-No wind, no rain, nothing in the way
-From one story of the building into the one below

Max

You could make that shot yourself with no training, seriousley

Bluez

Full Access Member
300 yards easily. With a better barrel, optics and the right ammo they can be accurate out to 500-600 yards

This is the realistic distance for a skilled shooter

good shots with a 20 inch barrel AR (military or otherwise) cna routinely hit a man sized target at 500m.
BUT not everyone can do it and it helps to have match ammo.

The M16A2 type heavy barrel configuration in combination with 69 gr match ammo ( or heavier) will help but is not a must.

This goes for man sized targets.... head shots are not realistic at this range in my opinion (tho I am sure there wil be a story somewhere that a SGT Smith etc did it)

most of the time the gun is more accurate than the shooter..and 90% of infantry combat takes places at ranges less than 100m.

BrothersInArms

Supporting Vendor
This is the realistic distance for a skilled shooter

good shots with a 20 inch barrel AR (military or otherwise) cna routinely hit a man sized target at 500m.
BUT not everyone can do it and it helps to have match ammo.

The M16A2 type heavy barrel configuration in combination with 69 gr match ammo ( or heavier) will help but is not a must.

This goes for man sized targets.... head shots are not realistic at this range in my opinion (tho I am sure there wil be a story somewhere that a SGT Smith etc did it)

most of the time the gun is more accurate than the shooter..and 90% of infantry combat takes places at ranges less than 100m.

+1 on that. I failed to mention that the 600m targets are a human torso on a 4'x4' backer.

TScottW99

Full Access Member
I've only shot them out to 350 meters (military M16 A-1) wish I had a place to shoot further now. My 20" heavy I built awhile back gets boring on the 100 yards range. We shoot water bottles all day at 100 yards with it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts