Got Stung by a Yellow Jacket

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
I've had my fair share of stings and bites before. Really never bothered me. But Friday I got tagged by a Yellow jacket just above the knee on my left leg. The initial pain didn't bother me but I must be having a mild reaction to the venom.

Saturday morning I woke up with all my joints hurting. Almost flu like symptoms. That has gone but the site where it got me has been itching like crazy. I've been taking Benadryl to try and fight the reaction but it only lasts a short while and it starts itching again.

This must have been the first time I've been hit by a Yellow jacket since I've never experienced this before. Usually I don't have much of a reaction to stings etc. Anybody else have bad reactions to insect attacks?

oppo

Full Access Member
just a fear of bees....

Ehhwh... Bees are darn near friendly if you don't mess with them. Yellowjackets, not so much. They haven't caused me any lasting issues though, just the initial burning that eases after a while.

I did learn one thing the hard way. I can literally roll around in poison ivy and it doesn't phase me. Well, one day I was cutting a bunch of it from the fenceline toward the back of the pasture using a weedeater with a saw blade on it. I had juice from the stuff all over me. Then, I did something stupid. I needed to take a piss and since it never phases me, I didn't think anything of it. The next morning, I had not a red spot or bump one anywhere on me except for one place. Let's just say that certain parts of the body are more sensitive than others and I would sooner piss myself than make that mistake again.

Sgt. Rock

Full Access Member
Few summers back I was doing some weed wacking near an old stump but before I knew it some hornets came flying out and one little bugger nailed me on the side of my temple as I retreated back. Within an hour I was sick and felt sweaty. Laid down rest of the day and next morning woke up and my left eye was swollen red shut. Looked like Mike Tyson had wacked me.wife took me to emergency and gave me a Benadryl shot and some ice packs..Took 3-4 days for it to look more normal..had that stump removed shortly later. Those mud wasp are the ones we always avoided as kids..nasty little buggers.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Well the leg is still itching this morning. Didn't wake me overnight like it has been so things are improving.

My poison ivy story is we had a big hairy vine growing up one of our trees This thing was as big as your wrist. I talked to a tree guy and he said they go dormant during the winter.

So in the middle of winter I'm out there hacking at it with a machete. Mission accomplished. The next morning I wake up with the side of my face all red and swollen. The next morning it's even worse. Went to the docs and got a shot.

Lesson learned is that crap never goes dormant.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Never been stung by a yellowjacket. I've heard those buggers can be painful.

I had a wasp fly into my jacket sleeve once while riding. Little bastard nailed me about 6 times before I stopped and pulled my jacket off. My forearm swelled up and my elbow joint was stiff and sore for about 3 days.

Other than an occasional sting here and there from bees or wasps, I've been fairly lucky; especially considering how many paper wasps and digger wasps we have in the bluffs around here.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Never been stung by a yellowjacket. I've heard those buggers can be painful.

I really didn't experience much pain except for the initial puncture. It's this lingering itch that's driving me crazy. It seems to have subsided quite a bit today. I only catch myself occasionally rubbing it. I think the worst is over.

Yellow Jackets must have a different kind of venom than most other bees/wasps. The usual sting doesn't bother me as long as this one has.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
I really didn't experience much pain except for the initial puncture. It's this lingering itch that's driving me crazy. It seems to have subsided quite a bit today. I only catch myself occasionally rubbing it. I think the worst is over.

That's what she said!!:favorites37:

kwo51

Full Access Member
A little ammonia on the sting sight will help next time.Have found nest of them here 10 ' across. Bumble bees will kick your ass also.

Last edited:

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Around here what we call a bumblebee is really a carpenter bee. The big black heavy looking bee. They don't sting. You can catch them with your bare hands.

9.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.