Foreign student=No firearm?

Max

Full Access Member
Hello everyone
It's been a while since I've been online.
The following may turn out a little complicated, but I'll do my best:

In June next year I will graduate from "Gymnasium" (german Highschool), and, from how things are looking today, go to the USA on a student visa to attend university or college.
It's still all a little "loose", but the two "favourites" right now are Texas and Georgia.
Now I heard that, because I lack a US-Citizenship (only got the german one), and because I'm going to go to the USA on a student visa, I will not be allowed to buy any kind of firearm.
Is that true?

Thanks in advance,

Max

kwo51

Full Access Member
Not sure of your buying one but you may be able to rent one at a range to shoot some. Good luck .What will you major in?

ViperJeff

Administrator
Work for NBC, you can make up whatever you want and call it news. I hear the pay is pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone

Bluez

Full Access Member
As for the original question, I am only aware only citizenship restrictions for fire arms that are derivatives of so called "assault rifles".
When I buy one of those I must prove citizenship.

The others I only have ot prove I live in the state and a utility bill, and a gov't issued foto ID are sufficient to establish that.

IN other words:

Ruger mini14, yes, AR15 no
Walther P38 yes, SIG556 no.
etc etc

oppo

Full Access Member
If you are here on a non-immigrant visa, it is illegal for you to buy or even possess a firearm. That is the bad news. The good news is that there are some exceptions if you purchase a valid hunting license but I haven't read up on those.

FBI — Fact Sheet

Max

Full Access Member
So, the way I understand it, I can't buy/own, say, a 9mm Glock for home protection?

Max

doublestack

There are always other forms of protection.....
Spray, batons, stun-gun, knives....you could probably buy a shotgun/pistol from a private party if you are just going to keep it in your residence.
Just beware of the penalties if you are caught with one!
IMO, you won't need a weapon, just go to school, learn and stay out of trouble.... ;-)

Max

Full Access Member
So, firearms are forbidden.
Ok.
But how about Tasers, the ones who shoot those little darts?
After all, they still shoot something.

Max

Rusty Shackleford

Full Access Member
As for the original question, I am only aware only citizenship restrictions for fire arms that are derivatives of so called "assault rifles".
When I buy one of those I must prove citizenship.

The others I only have ot prove I live in the state and a utility bill, and a gov't issued foto ID are sufficient to establish that.

IN other words:

Ruger mini14, yes, AR15 no
Walther P38 yes, SIG556 no.
etc etc

Is that a VA thing? I know of no such restriction at a federal level unless you are talking about NFA stuff.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts