Ed's Red: Home made cleaner, lube and protectant

BigJ

I switched over to Ed's Red about a year ago and haven't looked back. This stuff works as well as any clearner I'd used before (you name it, I've tried it), it lubes really well (thanks to the ATF) and if you go with lanolin it protects like you wouldn't believe. I've found the more I use it the easier it is to clean the gun the next time. In fact, it works so well I can go 3 or 4 sessions between cleanings of my M44 using corrosive surplus ammo.

Here's the recipe
1 part Dexron II, IIe or III ATF, GM Spec. D-20265 or later.
1 part Kerosene - deodorized, K1
1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits, Fed. Spec. TT-T-2981F, CAS #64741-49-9, or may substitute "Stoddard Solvent", CAS #8052-41-3, or equivalent, (aka "Varsol")
1 part Acetone, CAS #67-64-1.
Optional up to 1 lb. of Lanolin, Anhydrous, USP per gallon, OK to substitute Lanolin, Modified, Topical Lubricant, from the drug store

One word of caution: DO NOT use it on any plastic parts. It will chew through them in a heartbeat. But so far everything else has been aok, including rubber wood and G10.

Here's the link to all the detailed info: http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=9

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts