CCW for a southpaw

Dillon84

I am considering getting my CCW permit in Pa, I have not fired many compact pistols and was wondering what advice you could give as to what pistols would work well for someone looking for a lefty friendly pistol in the glock 19 and xdm 3.8 size range. thank you all for any and all info.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
A revolver might be what you need unless you can find a semi with an ambidextrous safety that you like. A 1911 is pretty big unless you go compact model although there are some folks that do conceal carry them. I've found that smaller is more comfortable. I can carry a Glock 30 (.45) but prefer the Taurus PT740 (.40) due to it's thinner size. Neither of these guns has an ambidextrous safety but the Glock doesn't even have a separate manual safety. Just the trigger safety.

I like carrying appendix style so I'm just more comfortable having the extra manual safety on the Taurus. IMO, whatever you do, carry in a holster that covers the finger guard/trigger area. You don't want something finding it's way in there and accidentally discharging the gun while it's tucked in your pants. Could be life altering. Specially if you carry appendix style.

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
Gen 4 G19 has ambi magazine release but no safety although you can get one, I have handled a gun with this iñstalled . Sliderlock is the name but can't put a link up for some reason, Google Glock trigger safety and it will come up...here it is www.siderlock.com my bad glad I can edit....
Concealed 27 is my forum name and also another suggestion lol

Last edited:

kwo51

Full Access Member
Stock 1911 has all its controls on the left side so no ambi safety is needed for a south paw.

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
If you can handle the size of it for ccw, that's the downfall in my eyes is size and weight......
Concealed 27

kwo51

Full Access Member
Ultra carry CDP kimber is 3" barrel and as small or smaller than a 27 glock. Great gun.

TScottW99

Full Access Member
The Glock 19 & Glock 26 are both excellent choices for concealed carry. Just remember the same basic rules with all guns, don't put your finer on the trigger until you're ready to shoot. Carry with a holster that covers the trigger guard.

The Glock 26 shoots great and hides easily. That is a major plus for concealed carry as I have found if it's hard to carry and/or hide people will leave it at home.

A reason that I love the S&W 642 for carry. I carry mine a lot when carrying concealed.

kwo51

Full Access Member
Nor do I it only sticks out about 1/4 " but feels like a yard. Real good once you learn to move your finger. It still my chance the profile enough that it will come off.

Concealed 27

Full Access Member
Is it the one that goes on the finger guard? I would like to see if they have then that can go on grip thru trigger pin, I ma look will get back to ya......
Concealed 27

kwo51

Full Access Member
$200. for it and life time batteries. Works great and easy to sight in. Feels like an extra appendage.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts