Bug Out Bag

Silver-Bolt

Full Access Member
Most important is that whatever you have in your ditch bag, know how to use it. Take a first aid class, surivival course, etc. Not much point in carrying items you don't know how to use or what they are for. Always replish the items that get used. Water and a couple of MRE's can sustain a person for several days. Pack according to your plan. If your plan is to bugout and not return you will need more supplies. If your plan is to bugout short term you won't need as much.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
Most important is that whatever you have in your ditch bag, know how to use it. Take a first aid class, surivival course, etc. Not much point in carrying items you don't know how to use or what they are for. Always replish the items that get used. Water and a couple of MRE's can sustain a person for several days. Pack according to your plan. If your plan is to bugout and not return you will need more supplies. If your plan is to bugout short term you won't need as much.

I was thinking the exact the same thing. It wouldn't do you a damn bit of good to take this stuff if you have no clue how to use it.
Kinda gave me an idea. My dad has 160 acres. How cool would be it be to start a business doing Disaster Survival Training classes. Students check in Saturday Morning and leave Sunday Evening. Surviving on nothing but their BugOut Bag for 2 days. No cell phone, No vehicle, No electricity, No running water etc etc.

The Boy Scouts ought to do those too. Going camping to most people these days is about like staying in a Hotel overnight.

Maxx2893

Full Access Member
I was thinking the exact the same thing. It wouldn't do you a damn bit of good to take this stuff if you have no clue how to use it.
Kinda gave me an idea. My dad has 160 acres. How cool would be it be to start a business doing Disaster Survival Training classes. Students check in Saturday Morning and leave Sunday Evening. Surviving on nothing but their BugOut Bag for 2 days. No cell phone, No vehicle, No electricity, No running water etc etc.

The Boy Scouts ought to do those too. Going camping to most people these days is about like staying in a Hotel overnight.

That would be very cool.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Putting together some survival classes in these times could be very lucrative. Spend a couple days teaching them hands on and then set them loose on the property to practice what they've learned. Only prohibitive expense to that might be insurance. If someone hurt themselves or worse, you'd need good coverage. Or have them sign a waiver.

SWSS

Full Access Member
HR - i will put my countryboy, Eagle Scout wealth of knowledge to use when you need me! I grewup dirt ass poor, so doing a lot from nothing was life. Mountain folk have done it for years...I believe it would work with the right business plan.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
HR - i will put my countryboy, Eagle Scout wealth of knowledge to use when you need me! I grewup dirt ass poor, so doing a lot from nothing was life. Mountain folk have done it for years...I believe it would work with the right business plan.

That would be great if ever it evolves someday. My biggest hurdle is convincing my dad. In a way, I don't blame him, but he's very well guarded about the people he wants at the property. Friends of mine is usually fine, but strangers, not so much.

kwo51

Full Access Member
Ranger hand book. Classes are all ready taking place in mid Florida. Info is kept low key for privacy reasons.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
Ranger hand book. Classes are all ready taking place in mid Florida. Info is kept low key for privacy reasons.

I just found this. With my failing eyesight (just getting old) this could be worth it's weight in gold.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Ranger-Handbook-Large-format-Official/dp/1780396597/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1385429411&sr=8-4&keywords=ranger+handbook]Ranger Handbook (Large format edition): The Official U.S. Army Ranger Handbook SH21-76, Revised February 2011: Ranger Training Brigade, U.S. Army Infantry School, U.S. Department of the Army: 9781780396590: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
That or you could put your glasses on. :secret:

OK smart guy. What happens if you break or lose your glasses?:pshyco:

I'm also thinking real hard about one of these.

31zZ%2BHFktHL.jpg

Last edited:

Full Access Member
OK smart guy. What happens if you break or lose your glasses?:pshyco:

I'm also thinking real hard about one of these.

31zZ%2BHFktHL.jpg

I like this tool, But if you break or lose your glasses your up shit creek. I think about that all the time...............because i wear glasses, It kinda sucks.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
I lose my glasses, I'm done.... and where do I get one of those tools

It's from a place called Innovation Factory. They have a tool called the "Truckers Friend" and the one I'm interested in called the "Handy Rescue Tool". The are very similar but the HRT has a couple extra features. Amazon handles sales for them but are currently out of the HRT. The TF is $60. The HRT is $80 with the sheath I believe.
Products - Innovation Factory

I only need readers for up close stuff. And currently they are only 1.5 in strength. I do absolutely need them to read and do detail stuff. My distance vision is just fine. But this is what I meant in another thread where I take SHTF into consideration when making decisions. I'm not consumed by it but it just makes sense that since I have to have glasses to read, why not get the large print edition just in case something happens to my glasses and I need to look something up. IMO you just need to be thinking ahead for a "just in case" situation.

Last edited:

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
I received the Army Rangers (Large Print) book today. You still need glasses to read it. The print really isn't that big. Disappointed. I was hoping I could read it. Maybe have to hold it out at arms length but that's not even going to work.

hotrodpc

Super Moderator
I like this tool, But if you break or lose your glasses your up shit creek. I think about that all the time...............because i wear glasses, It kinda sucks.

You bring up a great point for those who'd need reading glasses to see small or tiny stuff. One of the things I do have in my bag, actually 2 of them, a big one and a small one, is magnifying glass. Not only will it help you read something or fix something in a pinch, but a magnifying glass is great to have to start fires too. I've started many fires using a mag glass. Drawback is, it only works when you have good sunlight, so you'd have to start your fire in the daytime and keep feeding it through til dark o'clock. But, I've also got 3 of those small magnesium fire starter kits that work very well. You can get those a Harbor Freight for $1.99 on sale or $2 during one of their dollar days sales.

SilvrSRT10

Super Moderator
So who has a backpack and how are you using it? Bug out bag? Get Home Bag? Everyday Carry Bag? I know a guy who makes deliveries here and he keeps a "Get Home Bag" with him. He has a change of clothes, some medical supplies, a firearm and extra magazine, a knife and some food. It will allow him to make it back to home if something happens and he needs to get there on foot.

I suggested to him he get a Life Straw to get water and a poncho to stay dry. He also has an AR in his backpack but it's broken down so that it'll fit. I suggested a tactical sling for it so that he doesn't have to carry it all the way.

I travel a lot in my business and he got me thinking about putting together my own "Get Home Bag". I'm looking for suggestions on what backpack you all have experience with and how you like them. Worst case scenario I'd be about 2 to 3 days from the house on foot. And depending on how serious the situation is I'd hope to be able to stick to roads but may have to hike in the woods for cover which would lengthen the journey quite a bit. So what do you say?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts